I understand and consent to donation and removal of organs, eyes and tissues from my body by authorized donor agency surgeons and technicians or those authorized by donor agencies as documented in my record. First-person consent makes your decision final. Family consent is no longer required and your decision will be honored.
I also understand and agree:
- Missouri law protects my choice and unless revoked by me or an authorized person, my decision is irrevocable (final).
- If I change my mind about being in the Registry, it is my responsibility to take the necessary steps to remove my name from the Registry.
- Information contained in the Registry is only released after all efforts to save my life have failed. My information may be disclosed to other entities such as a recovery agency, solely for the purpose of recognizing and acting upon my donor decision.
- My family cannot override my decision if I am 18 years of age or older and will play an important part by being involved in the donation process.
- I understand and release the donor agency to notify my family at the time of death of my decision and to ask them to participate in the process by providing information about my social and medical history.
- My donation can be limited to certain portions of my body and/or for certain purposes (transplantation, therapy, research, non-research) as I designate in my Registry record or other documentation.
- Under Missouri law, a donor’s gift can be examined, including a review of the donor’s complete medical record, to determine the suitability for donation by persons involved in the organ or tissue donation process.
- My consent authorizes tests, examinations, or procedures necessary to assure medical acceptability of all organs, eyes, and tissues. These tests are to assist in matching organs, eyes and tissues with appropriate recipients in accordance with current medical standards and will be conducted in compliance with federal and Missouri laws, regulations and policy.
- Tests may include obtaining blood and tissue samples to test for infectious disease and any other medical examination necessary to determine medical suitability for transplantation, therapy, research or education. My test results may be the basis for not using my organs, eyes, and tissues for transplantation.
- If blood test results are positive for any reportable condition/disease that may affect others, the results will be sent to the Department as required by Missouri law.
- Unless I specify differently in Gift Specifications, my gift will be used for transplantation and therapy only. If medically unsuitable for transplantation and therapy, my gift(s) may be used for research or education.
- My donation will be used in accordance with Missouri law regardless of whether the entity receiving or processing my donation is considered a non-profit or profit entity.
- It is unlawful for anyone to sell organs or tissue for any reason.
- My body may be transferred to an alternate surgical facility to carry out the recovery of my gift of organs and tissues.
- There is no cost to me, my family or my estate for my gift. There will be no charge for hospital or medical services relating to my donation once a Missouri organ procurement/recovery agency or tissue bank has accepted financial responsibility through the organ and tissue recovery process.
- I release all parties including, the Department, authorized donor agencies, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and designees, from any and all liability or responsibility in connection with my registration and donation.
- All medical-related expenses incurred unrelated to organ, eye and tissue donation will be the responsibility of my financial provider.
- Access to Missouri’s Registry is restricted to authorized Department, contractor and recovery agencies staff.